Sunday, August 30, 2015

Another Twofer: brief reviews

taken from Goodreads.com

Sequel to Al Capone Does My Shirts, Al Capone Shines My Shoes continues the story of Moose Flanagan. As the middle school-aged son of a prison guard at Alcatraz during the 1930s, Moose and his family live on the island, along with all the other guards' families. Things are finally going so much better for the Flanagan family, until Mr. Capone himself decides it's time to cash in on a favor he secretly did for Moose in the first book. Just as cute as the first one, Shines My Shoes is full of great historically accurate fiction and fun characters. Definitely recommend it (and the first one, and I'm guessing the third one although I haven't read it yet...stay tuned).

taken from Goodreads.com
Going into this one, I had read two Rainbow Rowell books, Fangirl and Eleanor & Park. One of them I liked and one of them I didn't like. So I was curious about how I'd feel about this one (one written for adults and not for young adults, and one that's about a failing marriage, which is the kind of topic I would have very strong opinions about), and I was pleasantly surprised. I listened to it through audiobook, which was also much better than I expected once I realized a lot of the book is dialogue over the phone. I wasn't sure how that would play out via audiobook, but it worked. Much more importantly, though, is that the book was good. It was very interesting. The commentary on marriage was one I didn't agree with start to finish, but it brought up some very good (and, to my surprise) very conservative principles. Rowell provided quite the discussion about why this particular marriage went downhill, and the very common and simple actions that were taken (or not taken) to avoid such a downfall. I wouldn't go out of my way to demand that people read it, but I did enjoy it and thought it was interesting. I'm curious to keep reading Rowell's work (or just Attachments, I guess, because I think that's all I have left at the moment).

No comments:

Post a Comment