Friday, August 14, 2015

(Twofer) Silas Marner and The Sky is Everywhere: brief reviews

taken from Goodreads.com
I kind of cheated with this one. I listened to it, but not exactly with an audiobook. I listened to this book in the form of a radio drama by Focus on the Family, which is super close to an audiobook except there's a full cast and sound effects and perhaps some minor editing. So, in the efforts of full disclosure, there's a chance I didn't actually read it all. Not in the traditional sense. But I'm counting it, because I feel like it. Attitude aside, I enjoyed this story. I had an incredibly hard time getting into it, which is a problem since it's so short. I would probably have to say that I struggled with understanding/following any of the first half of the plot, but the second half was great. The character of Silas Marner is a gem, and the other opposing character is a total jerk. Wanted to punch him in the face. Good, sweet classic. 


taken from Goodreads.com



This one is a teen drama/romance, with all the typical teen drama/romance elements despite its heartbreaking and unique plot, in which a high school girl deals with the recent death of her older sister. It's a good plot, but the fact that there's also a love triangle, a miscommunication that leads to many tears, and a painfully predictable reunion in the end (spoiler...but not really, because it's painfully predictable). Also, I felt SO OLD while I was reading about this sweet teenage child who is speaking about wanting to "give all of herself" to this boy she just met, and "belonging" to him, and being "so incredibly in love" with him. No. A thousand times no. You are not incredibly in love with him, because you met him two months ago and you're an infant. Other than that, it is predictable but it's also cute and very sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment