Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Diary of a Young Girl: a brief review

taken from Goodreads.com
Since high school, I've tried to read this book three separate times and haven't gotten very far any of those times. I don't know what it was about it, but I just couldn't ever get into it. The fact that this is a worldwide classic and a staple of most middle and/or high school reading lists didn't make me feel too great about never reading it, and I always had it on that list in the back of my head that I would get to one day. Once again: audiobooks save the day. I enjoyed this book a lot; it's amusing to me because Anne is SUCH a teenage girl, but she also has moments of incredibly wise insights. The way she sees and comments on the world is pretty incredible, and definitely worth a place on the shelves of the Classics. I did find myself thinking, though, on several occasions, that all the rest of it (the parental drama, the boy drama, the incredibly detailed personal/sexual descriptions) seemed a little unnecessary and long winded - and maybe even inappropriate? - for a book to teach in a classroom. As a stand-alone book and memoir, though, I definitely enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment