Monday, March 30, 2015

Eleanor & Park: a brief review

taken from goodreads.com
Last January, my book club's very first book choice was Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell. I didn't hate it, but I also didn't love it. The main plot of the story was well written and enjoyable, but there was a whole second subplot that I just didn't enjoy. Because it was the first book I'd read of Rowell's, it would have been easy to put the rest of her books a little lower on the list of priorities. So many friends love her other books, though, so I decided to give Eleanor & Park a try.

Park is an awkward middle-class kid who just tries to keep his head down and suffer through the dumb kids he's surrounded by. Eleanor's selfish, abusive step-dad has made her life hell; the wacky thrift store wardrobe and stand-offish attitude make her seem less than approachable. When they are forced to share the only available bus seat on Eleanor's first day of school, an extremely unlikely friendship - and ultimately, romance - begins.

I really enjoyed this book, so much more than Fangirl. I loved the characters (for the most part), and I loved the writing. Like, really loved the writing. I also liked the story a lot; there were multiple little twists along the way that were fun and/or surprising. I feel like I need to say that, even though I really loved the book, I'm just so tired of the f-word being acceptable for teen lit, but oh well. I guess I'm more conservative than most in that regard. That being said, I'm excited to read some more of Rowell's work in the future.

Drum roll, please, here's my status on my 2015 reading goals:
Guys, I'm like 90% done with Wild (mildly angry review to come soon), and I started A Long Way Down last night. The last two Harry installments are loaded and ready to go on audiobook as soon as I'm down with Wild, and those last three will fly by, I'm sure of it. I know that I've commented in each post recently that I'm almost done with my goals for the year already, but...I'm almost done with my goals for the year already. It's incredible. I'm getting more books crossed off my list with an infant than I was without an infant. Definitely didn't see this coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment