Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Fangirl: a brief review


Guys, this is a little embarrassing. As someone who jumps at the chance to finish a book just so she can blog a review...this one somehow slipped through the cracks. Actually, I know what happened: it was a book I had read for Book Club, so when I finished it I didn't review it right away because I wanted to discuss it at Book Club first...but then I was too sick to go to Book Club that night and I forgot about the review completely. Not the end of the world, but hey. I read this book. I might as well share my thoughts about it, even if it's about three months later. (And because it's three months later, I'll probably be really brief.)

Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl introduces Cath on the day she and her twin sister move into college. After years of living in the same room and sharing all the same activities and friends, Wren has decided that she wants a random roommate for a chance to strike out on her own. Cath does her best to hide from all of campus and new experiences within the safety of her dorm room, despite her roommate's attractive friend's best attempts to show her around. Meanwhile, Cath tries to keep her biggest hobby/passion a secret from her new acquaintances: she is perhaps the biggest Simon Snow fan in the world. Such a huge fan, however, that she is one of the most popular fan fiction writer for the popular science fantasy series. As Cath tries to figure out how to balance a college campus, a new roommate, flirty boys, an advanced writing course, her Simon Snow fan fiction, separation from her sister for the first time in her life, and a father teetering on a mental breakdown back at home, she also learns much about herself as a young adult.

I enjoyed a lot of this book; the story of Cath navigating college life while also dealing with her personal life falling apart was great. I have to admit that first semester college freshman Andrea could relate quite a lot to Cath's fears of dining halls and new people. The family issues were really interesting, and the love interests were great. I just didn't get much out of the Simon Snow stuff. I hear that it was very similar to Harry Potter but since I still haven't read Harry Potter...I just didn't love it. In between every chapter was a snippet of either Cath's fan fiction or from a Simon Snow book. It was well written, just didn't really interest me. I think it was because there wasn't really any context for the snippets that were included...just random scenes that didn't mean anything to me. All in all though, I enjoyed the book. Not my favorite, but I would definitely read other books by Rowell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment