Friday, April 18, 2014

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Well folks the day finally came. When I shared the recipes I was using for all my homemade cleaners back in January, I mentioned that I had plans for a homemade laundry detergent as well...but I'd just started a whole new bottle of liquid detergent at the time and didn't want to waste it. I finally and officially ran out of that detergent today, so it was time to make my own.


 Ingredients:
1 cup Borax
1 cup Super Washing Soda
1 full bar of Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar and Stain Remover, grated

For the purposes of keeping my cleaning products and my food separate, I went ahead and purchased a separate grater and measuring cups/spoons. Since I bought them, and the glass container to house the detergent, all at the Dollar Tree, I felt like it was definitely worth the investment. It's just as simple to make the detergent as it sounds: just mix all three ingredients (I used a larger, different bowl just so it would be easy to really mix them up well) and you're done. The hardest part was grating that stupid car of Fels-Naptha...never thought I was going to get through it.






The mixture filled my cute little glass jar to the rim; I would have bought a bigger one if there had been one available to buy, and I'm glad it fit even though it was definitely cutting it close. Each load of laundry only needs one Tablespoon of the detergent, so I went ahead and tied the Tablespoon to the jar with some twine. And that's it!

The jar itself will make many loads of laundry (I would do the conversion to be more exact but the jar wasn't labeled to let me know how big it is. But I also have a huge supply of both Borax and Washing Soda left in those boxes, so all I will need is some more Fels-Naptha at some point in the distant future.

One more "yay" for homemade cleaning products!


No comments:

Post a Comment