Tuesday, April 29, 2014

We're really glad...

Have you seen this Kid President video yet?


I watched it a couple weeks ago, and although the entire video made me smile/laugh/cry (like all his videos), there was one line in particular that really grabbed me. "We're really glad you're here." After the pain of losing Sam and the months of trying to get pregnant, this line resonated with me so much. It's so simply said, but so perfect. I knew I needed to put that line in the nursery somewhere.

Remember my nursery sketch I shared a while ago? It showed my plans for the frames that will be hung above the changing tables.


The canvas on the far left of the collage has been switched to the 1 Samuel 1:27-28 chalkboard, but the rest of the design is staying the same. I'll go into more detail on what the rest of the collage is once we hang everything, but I decided that one of those frames in the middle should be the Kid President quote. Front and center in the room, right where I'll see it about a thousand times a day (I'm just guessing).

I had a black 8x10 frame with a matted 5x7 opening. I went back and forth a couple times over whether to use the matte or not, and did plenty of experimenting with both sizes. As always, I did some playing around with fonts and materials and such, and had lots of fails. I knew I wanted to use some Washi tape if possible...but beyond that I didn't really have a plan.



I thought the mix of Sharpie pen, Washi tape, and colored pencils would be cool, but it really wasn't. After a few minutes of staring and pondering (which is always the most crucial part of my creative process, I've realized) I decided that simple is best.

I went with the matte, and blocked off the perimeter of the 5x7 piece of paper with the Washi tape.


Then I just grabbed a thick Sharpie and wrote. Simple and easy.


I have to say that after all these little art pieces and projects being done out of context, I'm excited for when we can see them start to come together. I feel like we're really close, and the last handful of really big projects just need to be tackled for the room to look so different. Can't wait!

Here's our nursery to-do list now:






No comments:

Post a Comment