Thursday, February 19, 2015

Prisoner of Azkaban: a brief review


So you remember when I listened to Unbroken on audiobook and I fell in love? And then I listened to Serena on audiobook and said that I realized not all audiobooks are created equal because that one had been super boring and the reader made me want to either sleep or puke? Well. Let me introduce to you the talents of Mr. Jim Dale, folks. I fell in love with Jim Dale's sweet voice during the brief but wonderful television show Pushing Daisies, which he narrated. I didn't actually realize at the time that he was anyone other than just the Pushing Daisies narrator, so when I popped in Prisoner of Azkaban and heard that sweet voice reading me Harry Potter...needless to say I got excited. (I have since discovered that Jim Dale isn't such a secret treasure and that apparently all Harry Potter fans love him, but as we all know I'm usually the last to get in on just about anything so that fits.)

Harry starts his third year at Hogwarts in this third book of the series; tales of an escaped convict on the loose and searching for Harry haunt him as tries to get back into the swing of things at school. Meanwhile, Hagrid is teaching a class for the first time, the third professor of the Defense Against the Dark Arts class in three years is helping the students break some new ground, Gryffindor may have a real shot to win the Quidditch Cup, and Hermione seems to be taking more classes than is physically possible. As Harry tries to avoid running into the terrifying man who seems to be hunting him down, he discovers some new pieces of information about his past.

I really enjoyed the majority of this book. There was a dry spell (ha...spell) about 75% of the way through where I felt like it was dragging. Some of the descriptions got a little too detailed, and some of the scenes got a little too long winded. But then the end was incredibly awesome and I decided that I didn't really care so much about the earlier scenes. I will also grant Ms. Rowling that the problem may have been that I was making breakfast, washing dishes and feeding Charlotte bananas when I was listening to those scenes. I also need to take a moment (even though some of the characters already said it themselves) to rant about how ridiculous Snape is. I mean...ridiculous, right? You weren't the popular kid in high school. Get over it.

In addition to finishing this book today, I also finished The Rosie Project today. Not to brag, but I am absolutely crushing 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment