Thursday, October 20, 2011

Where You Invest Your Love, You Invest Your Life.

Two posts in one is a little excessive, I agree. But I was driving home from Bible study just now, feeling refreshed and reflective, and remembered something else that a student said today. And the full weight of his comment hit me again and it needs to be shared.

In the middle of a writing workshop class period when the kids are all working on their short stories and talking quietly to each other and I'm circulating throughout the room, I keep having to talk to Dahryus about getting back to work and making sure he's writing. After the sixth or seventh time talking to him, Alejandro - who sits next to him - says something about how this is nothing compared to other countries. No one at his table responds and I'm not really sure what he means so I just let him explain. He said "people in other countries would kill for the kind of education we get here." It made my heart absolutely melt, and it still does.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment