Monday, October 17, 2011

Kids say...things.

As a follow-up to this weekend's blog, I suppose today was better than I'd anticipated and I'm feeling better about things I suppose...time will tell with a lot of this stuff. Something happened in my last class, though, that needs to be shared. Insight into who and what I'm dealing with all day every day:

Martin, Jesse, Brenda and Sophie were whispering at the beginning of class in the back of the room. It was bugging me because I was trying to get them to be quiet to start silent reading time and those particular kids are chatty but usually stop when I've asked them multiple times. Today they weren't. And I did notice they were glancing at me periodically too. I finally called them out specifically and told Martin - the supposed ringleader in this discussion - I was tired of seeing his mouth move, and he said "I'm sorry. We were discussing biology. And how things happen scientifically. And how things are made." At this point, Brenda is hushing and poking Martin but he isn't quite getting it. He must have thought I wasn't understanding what he was saying because he added "We were talking about reproduction" for good measure. I told him to hush and save it for health class because I didn't want to hear it. Then they had silent reading time and I kept having to make eye contact with Martin and point at his book because I kept catching him looking weirdly at me. What is this kid's deal? After silent reading time when I was taking page numbers from the kids and the class was basically quiet Martin raises his hand. When I called on him he said "Miss Melchonee (how he pronounces my name even though he knows how to say it right)...are you pregnant?" Brenda and Sophie bury their faces in their hands but Jesse and Martin stare at me fully serious and expecting an answer. I shot daggers into them and said no. And then the rest of the block I pretended to be VERY angry with Martin, and one time even did the Runaway Bride "I'm watching you" move.

I'm fairly certain I'm losing weight, so I can't figure out what the heck is wrong with Martin. Brenda apologized after class and said that he is stupid. And that the style of my dress must have thrown him. And that my straightened hair made me look so different that he was confused.

I kind of love 7th graders.

2 comments:

  1. You make me laugh. You don't look pregnant. I saw you this weekend. So there. Also, I'm pretty sure there is no research to support these claims of changed hairstyles inducing the look of pregnancy. lol

    Related story:
    A few weeks ago, one of my co-workers asked another one of my co-workers if she was pregnant. When she said NO, the first co-worker replied, "Oh, I thought you were," while glancing meaningfully at her waist. Awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Jesus. Love your kids.

    Although I sincerely doubt you actually look preggers :)

    ReplyDelete