Sunday, January 17, 2016

The Nesting Place: a brief review

taken from Goodreads.com
I just finished this book and I don't really know where to even start with my review...I just know that I want to tell the world all about it. I've been reading The Nesting Place blog for a couple years now and am in love, so I knew I would love this book. I thought of it as more of something to cross off the list, though, kind of like something to just say I did because I already knew I loved her. But goodness. I'm so glad I read the book, not necessarily because I learned something new or different than what she talks about in her blog, but because having it all in such a condensed, concentrated place was amazing and exciting and convicting and challenging and freeing.

Myquillyn Smith, also known as "The Nester," challenges people (mainly women, let's be honest) to be content and love the home they're already living in, no matter what. Regardless of financial handicaps, regardless of how weird or broken the house is, regardless of whether we own it or are renting it, regardless of whether it's the short term living arrangements or the forever home. Her catchphrase (which has already been incorporated into our everyday conversation in this house, which is kind of a big deal) is "It Doesn't Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful." And you know what? It really doesn't. I'm learning that and so is JT. There's a lot about our house that isn't perfect. There's a lot about our decorating that isn't perfect, and there's a lot about where our house is right now that isn't where we perfectly hope to have it one day. WHO CARES. It's still beautiful. It's still our house. It's still functioning, keeping us safe and dry, and it's, truthfully, so much more than we should ever have. I'm not aiming for overused cliches when I say that we are incredibly blessed with this house. I have gotten mad at it and grumpy about it and threatened to burn it down and begged my husband to move me out of it....but honestly, I love it. I love this house. I'm sitting here right now in the dining room looking at this house and thinking about all the inspiration reading this book gave me, and dreading the day we one day have to move. I'm rambling, but I don't even care. In fact, I'm nowhere near done rambling.

This book spoke to me in ways that I didn't see coming. It helped me see the beauty in what I already have. It helped me see that I shouldn't be dreaming about the next house we have when this house we're already in is a wonderful gift that we get to live in. It helped me see that the perfectly designed house that looks like it was created for Pinterest won't make me happy, but that a house that we've filled with functional, pretty, comfortable, useable things that work for our family will create a home that is safe, warm, inviting and relaxing. (That sentence had a LOT of commas. My apologies.) Basically, this book isn't about home design nearly as much as it's about contentment. 

If you live in a rental home/apartment and you're afraid to make any changes even though you hate a lot of cosmetic finishes, read this book.

If you live in a rental home/apartment and you're unhappy because you wish you owned a house, read this book.

If you live in a home you own that you get mad at/frustrated with/grumpy about because you wish you had more money to make it pretty, read this book.

If you live in a home you own that you regret buying, read this book.

If you are constantly trying to make your house look perfectly spotless and put away and look like a show house so you can impress your friends, read this book.

If you think your home is too small, too big, too ugly, too modern, too dated, too [fill in the blank], read this book.

If you're looking for practical ways to make changes and updates to make your house feel more like home, read this book.

If you feel like your home doesn't really reflect your style, read this book. 

If you live in a home that you like most of the time but sometimes have raging pity parties because you find yourself in the flooring aisle of Home Depot and you wish your floors had THAT tile instead of the tile it has (this is me, in case you couldn't tell), read this book.

Honestly, just read this book.

Guys, I don't even love everything about her style. That's so not the point. I can't say it enough: this really isn't a decorating book nearly as much as it's a book about how to be content and thankful for what God has given you right this instant. It helps give you ideas and it does give practical advice, but most of all it encourages. And that is a book worth reading (over and over, probably).

No comments:

Post a Comment