Monday, January 4, 2016

Every You, Every Me: a brief review

taken from Goodreads.com
My first book of the new year is one to cross off the 2016 list. I'm glad I can cross it off the list because goodNESS this book stunk. The plot was okay enough, but the way Levithan chose to wrote it just about made me insane. It was very experimental; his friend would send him a picture and he would write some of a book based on the picture, and then his friend would send him another picture and he would write some more. His friend didn't read any of what he was writing and he would never know what pictures were coming next. Kind of a cool concept, except that it just really didn't work out too well. It was infuriatingly ambiguous and vague, and gave no information to the reader until about 90% through. Also, most annoying of all, was his use of the strikethrough, which he used entirely too much and throughout the whole book, and I for one never did really figure out what his intended purpose was for it. I'm a little bummed this was my first ever Levithan book, because I've heard good things about him but this one makes me want to take a while to read another.

Here's my updated 2016 reading goals list now:
  • For the Love, by Jen Hatmaker
  • Good News for Weary Women, by Elyse Fitzpatrick
  • Bittersweet, by Shauna Niequist
  • Bread & Wine, by Shauna Niequist
  • Parenting with Scripture, by Kara Durbin
  • Love and Respect, by Emerson Eggerichs
  • The Excellent Wife, by Martha Peace
  • The Underdogs, by Markus Zusak
  • Every You, Every Me, by David Levithan
  • Every Day, by David Levithan
  • We Were Liars, by E. Lockhart
  • Reality Boy, by AS King
  • Forgive me Leonard Peacock, by Matthew Quick
  • Lindsey Lost, by Suzanne Marie Phillips 
  • Belle Porter series
  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before, by Jenny Han
  • Odds of Getting Even, by Sheila Turnage
  • Attachments, by Rainbow Rowell

No comments:

Post a Comment