Monday, December 12, 2011

Thoughts for Katniss, etc.

We’re reading The Hunger Games in my classes right now, and I think all three of my classes are finally in love with it. I’m shocked to have to say that it took at least one of my classes until Friday (approximately 150 pages) to get hooked, but as soon as we hit what I’ve been affectionately referring to as “the blood and guts” my class full of boys got hooked. Right before we read the Cornucopia chapter where the games finally start, I gave them the following journal prompt: “If you could have a conversation with Katniss right now, before the games start, what would be the one thing you would ask/say to her?” These were some of the responses I got from my male lovelies:

-“Hope you die, in a good way gurl!”

-“Waz up gir umm I have a lot of faith in you winning this Hunger Games. So make sure you stay concealed in the trees and pick people off as you see them. Stay alive!” (no, that’s not a typo on “gir.” That’s how he spelled it. Also, concealed was a vocab words two weeks ago. Sarcastic use of a vocab word? I’ll take it.)

-“I would ask her what her strategy is to win the Hunger Games but I wouldn’t ask her too much BECAUSE SHE’S IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HUNGER GAMES!”

-“If you survive, call me (; see you later babe! <3”


Yup…I get to spend all my time with that. I stayed after school today with some students who wanted some extra time to work on the research projects we’ve got going on right now, and I don’t think I even knew there was a Spanish Pandora channel but…there is. And I’m quite familiar with it now. Also, the following conversation about the way Michael Bay has changed the world (one of their research projects) took place between two students:

Student 1: He changed humanity because we see Optimus Prime and we want to build a robot!
Student 2: He made us more scared of cars. That’s what he did.


On a more somber note, I’ve been working with them a lot on biographies and autobiographies, and I had them spend ten minutes writing their autobiography in their journals last week. Some of the stories of divorce and families separated by continent and jailed parents were so upsetting. But I think the one that has stuck with me the most is the student who shared about how he, after some complicated and unfortunate family issues, has lived on the streets several times with his dad but “it’s okay.” This sweet boy sits in my class and never really talks unless he’s asking me a question about his work, but he works so hard and is so wonderful. It breaks my heart to learn about these private stories and facts about my kids’ lives, but it also makes me feel so honored and privileged that so many of them were willing to share them with me. Not all did, and that’s fine. This year has been hard at times and I know it will be hard again, but I am thankful for the learning experiences it’s given me, and for each new way I can see and know my kids…for each hilarious and tender memory I will cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment