Monday, December 5, 2011

The Joy of Prefixes

My kids get five prefixes/suffixes each Monday and five vocab words on Tuesday, and then are quizzed on Friday. One of today's prefixes was "dia-", meaning through or across. My example word was "diagonal," but someone obviously yelled out during 4th block that "diarrhea" also starts with the prefix. Instead of getting annoyed or trying to calm the resulting laughter down, I decided to go with it. I just shrugged and said "the meaning of the prefix works for diarrhea." There was a pause while they tried to figure it out and the kid who had yelled out originally said "how?" so I smiled and said "how does the definition 'through' have to do with diarreah?" Pretty much took three full minutes to get them back on track but it was definitely worth it.

Needless to say, I don't think anyone in 4th block is going to get that question wrong on Friday's quiz.

No comments:

Post a Comment