Saturday, December 17, 2011

Don't Mess

I made my 5th block copy out of the dictionary yesterday. This was the conversation that came before they started "You've wasted my time for a week and a half, so now I'm going to waste some of yours. Start with A. I'll tell you when to stop." Not my proudest moment ever as a teacher, but it kind of did the trick.

We got to the kissy parts of The Hunger Games yesterday, which made me ridiculously happy because it's so much fun to read. The things that Peeta says are so painfully smooth and I love reading his words out loud and getting to play them up with a fun, flirty boy voice and then reading Katniss' annoyed and sarcastic attitude-filled responses. That's probably the nerd in me coming out, but I enjoyed it. Two of my classes were even less mature than you would expect them to be when reading things like "You can kiss me anytime if you want" and "Cover up with this backpack and then throw me your shorts so I can wash them," but my homeroom was full of rockstars yesterday. They've been impressing me so much, and yesterday they raised the bar. They were so incredibly into it. I've got some girls in that class that are, sadly, extremely hardened by life already and never tone the attitude down much...but yesterday they were hanging on every word. Gasping appropriately, "ooooo-ing" appropriately, getting caught up in the drama every other page. It was awesome. Then my other classes came and were dumb about it and couldn't stop talking so they copied out of the dictionary. You know. Just a typical Friday.


One conversation (at lunch):

Student: Miss Melchione...do you have a boyfriend?
Me: Nope.
Student: Why not? How old are you?
Me: Old.
Student: 30? 25?
Me: ...Closer to 25.
Student: You should really have a boyfriend by now, Miss Melchione.

No comments:

Post a Comment