Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Who's the coolest?

Today I was reading The Hunger Games aloud to my kids and we got to the part where it describes how Katniss shoots squirrels in the eye every time to save the rest of the meat. I paused to talk about it with them because I wanted them to fully get how crazy this is, so I explained that squirrels are a very small animal that runs really fast, and to shoot one at all takes some skill. But to shoot one in the eyeball while it's small and running very fast, and to do that with an ARROW, means that she is an incredible shot. Before explaining all of this to them, though, I started out with "I don't think I've told you this but I come from a family of hunters, so..." and then I explained all of that. Two of my classes just listened with their full attention because they know nothing about hunting or what is a good shot, but one of my classes stopped me and said "Wait, wait...you're a hunter? AND a boxer?!"

In case you didn't catch that, I'm without a doubt the coolest 7th grade teacher at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment