Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Kite Runner: a brief review


I've technically been reading this next book, The Kite Runner, since I wrote the last book related blog post, but I also decided to paint the majority of my house during that time too, so I didn't get much reading done. That, coupled with the fact that this [long] book is not quite cheery slowed down my momentum quite a bit. Despite those facts, though, I absolutely loved this book.

Khaled Hosseini's debut novel about an adult man who grew up in Afghanistan but now resides in California with his wife and years of secret guilt has been a beloved story since it first hit the stores in 2003. Narrator Amir begins his story as a young boy in Afghanistan, growing up with his widower father and their servant family: a kind and gentle man and his son Hassan. Just like Hassan and Amir's fathers grew up together as close friends, the young boys spend all their time together. Life for the four of them is comfortable and free of physical want, and all that's missing for Amir is assurance of his father's love. There comes a day, though, when Amir's character is tested and he must choose whether to defend the friend who has shown him unwavering loyalty or run in fear. Nothing is the same after that day, and as Amir continues to tell the reader the story of the rest of his life, the underlying pain and guilt never leaves. An opportunity for redemption doesn't come for many years, but when it does Amir finally sees how he can "make it right."

It's no secret that I enjoy depressing story lines. Picking out a movie is usually a chore for my husband and I, not because I insist on girly chick flicks but because my favorites are dark, slow, (I would say touching) dramas. And he's not such a fan. This book honestly fits all those qualifications. It's sad, deeply emotional, and incredibly touching. I saw one part of the ending coming from a hundred pages away, but I don't know that Hosseini necessarily tried to mask it all that hard. Figuring out one part of the conclusion certainly didn't make that part any less beautiful. This book was just great. The writing seemed slow at times, but I blame my inconsistent reading more than I blame Hosseini. The story itself was wonderful. I loved the beautiful portrait of how one choice can rob us of years of peace, but also how another choice can redeem that impossibly painful past. If you have also made it this long without reading The Kite Runner, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment