Thursday, April 30, 2015

Bossypants: a brief review

taken from goodreads.com


So, earlier this year I read Amy Poehler's Yes Please and pretty much hated it. Then I listened to the audiobook version of Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? and straight up loved it/her to death. Between those two, I went into Tina Fey's Bossypants with tentative excitement: I might love it but I also might hate it and I was open to both possibilities. Well friends, the verdict is in and I am just crazy about Mrs. Tina Fey. Or her book, at the very least.

It's an autobiography about all the typical things (childhood, parents, teenage years, college, rise to fame through the comedy clubs of Chicago, etc. etc.) so it's not like I really need to go into details about what it's about. It's about Tina. But I would like to share some thoughts on the things that I really really loved about it (in the order that they pop into my head) and call it a day. (Also note, I listened to the audiobook. I highly recommend this. She's great.)
  • The way she talks about her parents, but more specifically her father. I died of laughter while washing the dishes and listening to her tales of Don Fey (kind of sort of because they really reminded me of my grandfather). 
  • The way she talks about college at UVA, because the stereotypes she describes are exactly what all of us JMU girls think about UVA girls (also, please realize that I am kind of the farthest thing from a stereotypical "JMU girl" as can be. But I went to JMU and I'm a girl so there's that). 
  • The way she describes going through puberty. Classic and hilarious. 
  • The way she candidly discusses differences in female body types, and the fact that we are always and forever trying to fabricate the features we don't have rather than be proud of the ones we do have. 
  • The way she shared stories about 30 Rock, making me very interested in giving it another try. 
  • The way she described motherhood. Guys, if I was laughing during the Don Fey stories, I was absolutely rolling on the floor laughing out loud during her chapters on motherhood. Breastfeeding and pumping and the cruel ways we shame each other and using the shower as "mommy time." It's gold, friends. I loved it all. 
  • The way she included the actual audio of the original Sarah Palin/Hilary Clinton SNL skit on the audiobook. Because who doesn't love hearing that for the 32nd time? Never gets old. 
There's more. I know there is.  The basic conclusion is that I really loved it, and I have already passed it on to my mother and sister to listen to on their cross-country road trip that starts in a couple days. Definitely recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment