Monday, April 27, 2015

Bud, Not Buddy: a brief review






I'm not quite done with my 2015 reading goals list, but since I don't have either of the last two on audiobook, I made the executive decision to press ahead into some new books for the purposes of being able to get some more "read" audibly. After browsing the library's audiobook section thoroughly, I discovered that they have one of this adorable little children's book, which just so happens to be on my 94 book list. Oh happy day.

Bud, Not Buddy has been on my radar for such a long time. Both of my sisters read it ages ago when we were kids, and I remember them saying how cute it was and how much they loved it. Well it's like 15 years later but I've finally read it, and I totally get what the hype was about. Ten-year-old Bud lives in an orphanage during the Great Depression following his mother's sudden death, and when he gets placed in an abusive foster home he takes off to travel the world on his own. In search of the man he believes is his father - based on a band's flyer his mother had kept - Bud meets many welcoming and loving people along the way that remind him what being a member of a family is like.

This book is wonderful. It's cute and funny and charming; I laughed out loud at the 10-year-old boy thought processes and the playful dialogue between characters. The way people reached out to Bud and showed him love warmed my little heart and reminded me why children's books are often the best choices (is this where I say one more time that I've been kind of tired of the f-word on all of the pages of all of the books I've been reading?). Really and truly, this is a great one. If you didn't read it in your childhood, I definitely recommend it even for adults. Because we can all use a good, clean, G-rated read about looking out for the orphans every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment