Monday, September 28, 2015

Twofer: two brief reviews

I slacked on writing a review again, so I have two different book reviews to write tonight. One I loved loved loved, and one I super duper didn't like at all.

taken from Goodreads.com
Oh my goodness. I loved this book. I loved this book so much I put it in my top 5 books ever. I loved the characters - the sweet, sweet, lovable characters - and I loved the twists and turns, and I loved the commentary on books and book people and I loved the whole thing. Not to be too dramatic (unless I've already crossed that threshold), but this was the kind of book for me that buries itself down deep in my heart and that I know I'll read many more times in the future. Sigh...so good. Also, as a small sidenote: something that I really appreciate is when a book or movie that is about a certain thing does a good job with that thing (translation: Jack Black's character in the The Holiday is a composer for movies, and the score for The Holiday is fantastic). Well this is a book about really good books, and it's indeed a really good book. I know I've given you absolutely nothing about plot or any information, and that's kind of on purpose. I don't want to spoil any of the surprises for you, and it's hard to give you much of a plot synopsis without doing that. So I'll just say this: read this book. Please read this book. Good golly, I'll probably buy it for you for Christmas to make sure you read this book.

taken from Goodreads.com
In contrast...eh. This book was surprisingly bad. I feel like I'm not allowed to really say that, because it's a classic. And it's Ray Bradbury. But goodness. I was bored out of my mind and when I wasn't bored out of my mind I was confused. There were good moments and good points made, and definitely some great commentaries on what the world could (and probably already has) easily become...but aside from that, whew. It was 4 CDs of pure effort for me. Sorry if that makes me a terrible former Language Arts teacher, but I'm just telling you the truth. But hey. I feel more well rounded, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment