Thursday, September 17, 2015

Ghosts of Tupelo Landing: a brief review

taken from Goodreads.com
Ghosts of Tupelo Landing is the sequel to Sheila Turnage's book Three Times Lucky, which I listened to and loved a couple months ago. I really liked this book as well - which picks up the story of rising sixth graders Mo and Dale right where the last story ended - but the audiobook was unbearably terrible. Just awful. And it's such a bummer because the first audiobook was great. This one had a different reader (why?) and the sound quality was just awful. So I definitely don't recommend the audiobook, but I do very much recommend this series (a third book is due to come out in the beginning of October).  The characters are super adorable and original, the dialogue is hilarious and clever, and the plots have enough mild twists and turns that you genuinely want to keep reading to find out what happens. I really do love these books, and even though I kind of sort of like the first one better, I blame the crappy audiobook. These are great, and I definitely recommend them.

Friends, a brief extension to the post is needed to acknowledge that this is my 50th book so far this year! I can't believe it. My goal for last year was to get to 40 books and I only made it to 32. Granted, I did have a baby in that year, but I had a rolling, crawling, climbing baby in this year and I've already far surpassed last year's goal. I will admit, though, that 33 of the 50 books so far have been audiobooks. I cannot stress enough the way audiobooks have changed my reading game. I'm already bummed about how I'll have to change things up again a couple years from now when Charlotte will be able to hear and understand the things I'm listening to...but I'll figure something else out then. For now, audiobooks are incredibly helpful. It is so much fun for me to get to read and cross books off my list and feel productive. It's been really great, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I also highly recommend audiobooks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment