Thursday, May 14, 2015

When You Reach Me: a brief review

taken from goodreads.com
This is one of those books that I've seen around for several years, and it's always been associated with a lot of praise. I saw it at the library on audiobook and snatched it up. And truthfully...it is good. It's also a little weird, and there were moments when I thought it was confusing and a little too far out there for me, but in the end I enjoyed it.

Miranda lives with her single mother in their small apartment in the 1970s. She has a fairly normal middle school life (her childhood best friend has suddenly stopped talking to her and she doesn't know why, she starts spending time with some new girls who she has more in common with than she originally thought, there's a weird boy at school who she keeps bumping into, etc. etc.) until mysterious notes start showing up addressed to her. She has no idea where they're coming from or what any of them mean, until something horrible happens and she realizes what all the puzzle pieces look like together.

Like I said, there were times when I was a little annoyed with the book because I didn't think it was any good, and there were other times when I liked it a lot and thought it was super cute. Thankfully, it ended with me thinking it was super cute, and I therefore can say that overall I liked it. It's not my new favorite, but I definitely did like it. And since the only other book I've read by this author might as well have been written in a foreign language I hated it so much...we will see if I read any more of hers. I'm feeling like maybe it's a hit or miss with Ms. Stead. 


No comments:

Post a Comment