Thursday, January 23, 2014

First Light: a very brief review

photo cred: Goodreads

So...remember when I told you all about how I got my library card and downloaded my first ever library book downloaded to my Kindle? Remember how I said it took me a half hour to find a book that wasn't already taken by someone else? Well when I eventually got one, I snatched it because it was an author I had once heard of. Not the book, but I've heard of the author. I crossed my fingers and hoped it was enough. Sadly, it wasn't. Total dud, guys. And don't look on Goodreads, because I seem to be the minority opinion.

Peter and his scientist parents spend some time in Greenland to do some experiments and such. Thea and her family live in a secret underground community within a glacier, in Greenland. As both teens explore and discover the truth about the world around them, they uncover generations of secrets and eventually, each other.

I honestly had no idea what was going on until about 60% through the book, and even after that I wasn't super interested. I thought her writing was unclear and the plot a little ridiculous. And I also had a hard time picturing anything that was happening at any given point. And even though that's a pretty harsh review, I've heard really great things about her other books and I still want to read them. I have total faith, Ms. Stead.

No comments:

Post a Comment