Thursday, July 18, 2013

Who Could That Be at This Hour?: a brief review



Before I do my tiny little book review, I need to say that this book challenge has been a serious "duh" moment for me. I have the kind of personality that dives into things a little too aggressively/obsessively, and so when I got my Kindle about a year and a half ago I said goodbye to "real" books. I would buy them on my Kindle, read them on my Kindle, and then if I really liked them I would buy the real-life version to display on my shelves (much to the confusion of my husband). I forgot about libraries, I forgot about borrowing books from friends, and I forgot about reading the 91 perfectly good books I already had sitting on my shelves waiting to be read. Forcing myself to step away from the Kindle and read some actual hard-backed books for a change has been like removing a blindfold. I don't have to pay (twice) for a book just to read it. I have a whole world of free and already-paid for books available. Duh. And while that probably doesn't sound like rocket science...it's honestly been a little exciting for me to realize. Or...remember. Whatever. Here's my book review.

The first book in Lemony Snicket's new All the Wrong Questions series, is just as quirky and clever as I thought it would be. Who Could That Be at This Hour? starts to tell the story of Lemony Snicket's adolescence and rise to fame in the field of mystery-solving and secretive writing that we're familiar with in his Series of Unfortunate Events books. In this book, Snicket describes the beginning of his career as an apprentice to a somewhat worthless chaperone who is teaching him the ways of the secretive sleuthing society he becomes so involved with later on. In typical Snicket form, though, he leaves lots of holes in the plot and questions unanswered. You as the reader needs to do some thinking along the way to fill in some of the holes...but you should also be prepared to not ever get some questions answered. But there's not much new there.

It's super fun and a quick read, and it's everything you would want a Lemony Snicket book to be. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next book in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment