Tuesday, July 16, 2013

My Own Personal Book Challenge

I love to read, and always have. But sometimes when your husband is working second shift all summer and you're trying to stay awake until ridiculous hours in the night when he gets home, it's easier to put a movie on. And while I also have always loved watching movies, I think we can all agree that reading a book makes you feel a little bit better about yourself than watching yet another movie. So I've been making a conscious effort here recently to choose books over movies (much more, anyway). And right around the time I decided to read more...I also realized the vast amount of books that I own that I've never read. 91 of them, in fact. That's a whole lot of books that I've paid for and brought home and found a home for on my walls of bookshelves, but have not given the decency of reading. Obviously I wanted to read them at some point. That's why I bought them. And now it's time to read them...before I buy another book. (Eek!)

More for my own record keeping and not so much because I think you'll care, these are the books on the list. Please don't judge/mock me for the classics and well-read books that are on this list that I've never read. Especially considering how much I love reading. And teaching English to children.


FICTION:
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling
2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling
4. Bright Young Things - Anna Godberson
5. Countdown - Deborah Wiles
6. Ten Little Indians - Sherman Alexie
7. Number the Stars - Lois Lowry
8. The Giver - Lois Lowry
9. Flygirl - Sherri Smith
10. Out of My Mind - Sharon Draper
11. The Battle of Jericho - Sharon Draper
12. Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry - Mildred Taylor
13. The Fox Inheritance - Mary Pearson
14. Who Could That Be at This Hour? - Lemony Snicket
15. The Great Wall of Lucy Wu - Wendy Wan-Long Shang
16. Star Girl - Jerry Spinelli
17. If I Should Die Before I Wake - Han Nolan
18. Mockingbird - Kathryn Erskine
19. One Crazy Summer - Rita Williams-Garcia
20. The Notebook - Nicholas Sparks
21. My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult
22. The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
23. The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
24. Someone Like You - Sarah Dessen
25. That Summer - Sarah Dessen
26. Just Listen - Sarah Dessen
27. Left Behind - Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
28. Tribulation Force - Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
29. Nicolae - Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
30. Soul Harvest - Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
31. Apollyon - Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
32. Assassins - Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
33. The Indwelling - Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
34. The Mark - Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
35. Desecration - Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
36. The Remnant - Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
37. Armageddon - Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
38. Glorious Appearing - Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
39. Fame - Karen Kingsbury
40. Family - Karen Kingsbury
41. Forgiven - Karen Kingsbury
42. Found - Karen Kingsbury
43. 1984 - George Orwell
44. Death of a Salesman - Arthur Miller
45. The Red Badge of Courage - Stephen Crane
46. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
47. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - Tennessee Williams
48. The Hundred and One Dalmations - Dodie Smith
49. Around the World in 80 Days - Jules Verne
50. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne
51. Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes
52. Alice and Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
53. Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Caroll
54. Dracula - Bram Stoker
55. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
56. Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
57. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
58. Wuthering Heights - Charlotte Bronte
59. The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
60. Silas Marner - George Elliot
61. How I Survived Bullies, Broccoli, and Snake Hill - James Patterson
62. Get Me Out of Here - James Patterson
63. The Worst Years of my Life - James Patterson
64. My Brother is a Big, Fat Liar - James Patterson
65. I Funny - James Patterson
66. Bud, Not Buddy - Christopher Paul Curtis
67. The Schwa Was Here - Neal Shusterman
68. Pop - Gordon Korman
69. The Big Field - Mike Lupica
70. Heat - Mike Lupica
71. Hoot - Carl Hiassen
72. Flush - Carl Hiassen
73. New Boy - Julian Houston
74. Prom - Laurie Halse Anderson
75. Twisted - Laurie Halse Anderson
76. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - John Boyne
77. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
78. Slumdog Millionaire - Vikas Swarup
79. Push - Sapphire

NONFICTION
80. A Little Bit Wicked - Kristin Chenoweth
81. A Long Way Gone - Ishmael Beah
82. Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand
83. Band of Brothers - Steven Ambrose
84. The Jungle - Upton Sinclair
85. Invictus - John Carlin
86. Cheaper by the Dozen - Frank Gilbreth
87. Zlata's Diary - Zlata Filipovic
88. The Invested Life - Joel Rosenberg
89. Because He Loves Me - Elyse Fitzpatrick
90. Radical - David Platt
91. The Ragamuffin Gospel - Brendon Manning


Like I said...don't judge me. I know there are a whole lot of books on this list (Harry Potter...The Great Gatsby...The Kite Runner...) that most people read ten to fifteen years ago. But I guess I was reading other books ten to fifteen years ago and forgot about these.  

No comments:

Post a Comment