Thursday, July 18, 2013

That Summer: a brief review







Not to toot my own horn or anything...but I'm on Day 2 of my book challenge and I've already finished Book 2. Is it possible that my speedy reading is due mostly because I'm choosing super easy and short Young Adult books? Perhaps. But I'm enjoying it. Not to mention that if I keep knocking the easy ones out this fast, I'll be able to buy a book sometime this decade.

Other than the fact that Garth Brooks has an old song with the same title, I'm not really sure why I chose this particular book to read next. Just kind of grabbed it, knowing it wouldn't require many brain cells. Sarah Dessen's That Summer tells the story of 15-year-old Haven's months in between her father's wedding to the local weather girl and her sister's wedding to boring and stable Lewis. With so much of her life changing all at once, Haven responds in typical adolescent fashion...awkwardly and dramatically, although maybe legitimately. Throughout the summer Haven's rekindled friendship with her older sister's ex-boyfriend continues to grow, and it's not until the end of the book that she realizes that reality may differ from her memories.

This book was an easy summer read, living up to my expectations fully as far as brainless reading goes. I actually think I found it a little too brainless...not much actually happened in the plot until the very end, and although there was an interesting twist I didn't find that it really made up for the rest of the blah. I have two other Sarah Dessen books on my list and I'm still interested to read them, I just think this one was a slight dud.

No comments:

Post a Comment