Friday, June 10, 2016

New Priorities

I've been thinking about some things over the last couple days. Two things in particular. They're both quite simple but also both have pretty huge implications for me and my time, and I'm incredibly excited for both.

Thing 1: I miss writing. I've mentioned my writing several times on this blog over the last several years. I started a novel and got it a very rough, short version of "done," but then got frustrated with the edits and the ending and pushed it aside for a while. Then this spring I started a new novel, and got about half way through before the subject matter really hit me like an emotional wall and I needed to put it away for a little while. That brings me to now...where it's been months since I've written anything but I have the bug again. I think it's almost a need...I need to be writing. I picked up the first novel again last night and started making some major changes. I am so excited about it and feel energized to continue working on it. And I'm also doing some research about self publishing through Amazon, which seems like the route I am likely going to pursue.

Thing 2: I miss reading fiction. I've been reading quite a bit, but goodness gracious it's been a lot of nonfiction. And I really do not like nonfiction. There's a time and a place, and it's important stuff, but there just isn't much motivation at the end of my day to cuddle up with my Kindle and some nonfiction...even if it is of the inspiring, motivational variety. At the end of my day, I need some fiction in my free time. That's why it's so much easier to turn the TV on instead of read. So even though the majority of the books left on my 2016 Reading Goals list are nonfiction books, I'm going to go ahead and call an audible. I heard the words of Shauna Niequist in my head this morning, reminding me that people who write MUST also read. And it's occurred to me that some of the reason why I love fiction so much is that it's helpful and inspiring and exciting for me, someone who is trying to write fiction. So I'm going to take a little break from nonfiction and pursue fiction like it's my job. Because Shauna told me to.


No comments:

Post a Comment