Friday, October 23, 2015

Twofer: Killing Kennedy and The Rosie Effect

taken from Goodreads.com
I've heard great things about this book (and O'Reilly's other, similar book Killing Lincoln) for several years now, and I've always wanted to listen to them. Thanks to the beauty of library audiobooks, I now know why everyone loves them so much. I really enjoyed O'Reilly's (and Dugard's) writing style, which made the complicated interpersonal and historical details roll off the pages like a casual conversation. I think the fact that the audiobook was narrated by Bill himself helped. I feel like I learned quite a bit, too, about all the major players in the Kennedys' story; I really enjoyed that he included so many details about all of the people who crossed paths with and/or had anything to do with JFK, rather than sticking just to JFK himself. I really enjoyed it, and I'm excited to listen to Killing Lincoln soon.

taken from Goodreads.com
I read Simsion's first Rosie book, The Rosie Project, at the beginning of the year and loved it. I loved the protagonist's unique voice (adult genetics professor who also lives somewhere on the autism spectrum), as well as the plot (adult genetics professor who also lives somewhere on the autism spectrum has formally decided that it's time to find a wife, and creates a detailed survey that he hands out to as many women as he can). This sequel, though...eh. I didn't love it. Most of it I didn't even like all that much. I loved a lot of the new characters and their relationships with Don, and I enjoyed the ending a lot, but most of the beginning and middle just made me mad. Rosie's all-powerful, alpha woman attitude is not my favorite (putting it mildly), and I hated how she handled her frustrations with Don. To be fair, he would be hard to be married to...but she did marry him. And decide to get pregnant with him. So that kind of seems like her fault, not Don's. That being said, I did love the first one and will definitely still recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment