Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Secret Life of Bees: a brief review



Favorite quote: 
"Honeybees depend not only on physical contact with the contact with the colony, but also require its social companionship and support. Isolate a honeybee from her sisters and will soon die." (pg. 169)

I remember watching this movie back when it came out - I think when I was in college - but when I finally started reading the book, I honestly couldn't really remember much about the plot. I remembered the cast, and that honey was involved, but not much else. It actually made for a much more interesting reading experience, since I couldn't remember what was going to happen.

Sue Monk Kidd's first novel, The Secret Life of Bees, is the story of 15-year-old Lily Owens, who is growing up in the 1960s deep South with her abusive father and (black) maid/nanny Rosaleen. When Rosaleen and Lily find themselves in trouble with the law after attempting to get Rosaleen registered to vote, the girls go on the run. They find a safe haven in the home of (black) August, June, and May Boatwright, where they learn about the arts of beekeeping, friendship, and motherhood.

I really enjoyed the bulk of the plot, which focused on Lily's coming of age journey, her relationship with the older women, and her personal healing as she learned to deal with the death of her mother. There are a lot of really valuable and touching points made about the importance of relationship and community that I loved. The discussion of race relationships in the 1960s South Carolinian setting was also quite interesting and heartbreaking at times. And there are more twists and surprises than you would expect, which keep you fully engaged and interested in the progression of the plot. The only thing that rang a little strange was the unique religion the ladies, and many of their friends, follow. Virgin Mary focused and glorifying women above all else, it was fine for a little while but got a little overbearing and annoying by the end. Other than that, though, I enjoyed the book (and I enjoy getting to cross another one off the ever-present 94-book list).

No comments:

Post a Comment