Sunday, July 6, 2014

I Funny: a brief review


Last 4th of July, I got an email from Books a Million informing me that there was a big holiday sale, and that all of James Patterson's Middle School books were being sold at an incredibly low price. After talking to the hubs, deciding they were worth the risk of having not read them before, trying to buy them, realizing my Books a Million card had expired (who knew that was a thing?), paying the $20 to renew it for another year, and then ultimately buying the books...I am now very happy to say that I've read them all. Pshew. (Every email from Books a Million has immediately been deleted in the last year, by the way.)

When I bought the books last year, I thought that this one, I Funny, was in the same series of Patterson's other Middle School books (reviews found here, here, here, and here). I genuinely enjoyed those books...this one I just kind of wanted to get through. It still follows a middle school boy with a diary-style format that's a super quick and easy read, but I just didn't find the protagonist quite as engaging or as entertaining. And the worst part: it's a book about a kid who's a stand-up comic and who spends all his time (and every other line) cracking jokes....but it's not funny. He's not really that funny. I honestly didn't laugh once. Womp womp. And I don't think it's really because it's aimed at middle schoolers and I'm an adult; I find really childish things like Veggie Tales, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and Adventures in Odyssey to be hilarious. So all in all, it was clean, it was a super light and quick read, and it did handle some heavy topic matters fairly well, but it just wasn't my favorite. I much prefer Patterson's Middle School series.

No comments:

Post a Comment