Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars: a brief review (of a reread)

taken from wikipedia.com
I first read this book almost a year and a half ago. It was my first John Green book and it was before I started my 94-book challenge and therefore before I started blogging my book reviews again, so there's no review of it on here. I just finished rereading it for book club and for the trip to the movies I have planned with my sisters and mom at the end of the month, and figured it deserved some blog recognition since it didn't get any last time.

I really love this book. The super prideful part of me wants to make sure you understand that I loved it before it became a movie and that I love it despite it being a movie; the prideful part of me wants to be clear that I loved it before it became the flavor of the month (literally) that it is right now. But honestly...who cares. I love this book, so there. I love both this book and the only other John Green book I've read so far, Looking for Alaska, and I fully plan to love more of his books as soon as I can. His writing is witty and hilarious and painful and emotional. Yes, he does seem to have a tragic kind of theme going on with his work but he does it so stinking well that you laugh just as much as you cry. Maybe even more. I think he's a truly incredible writer, and I really love this book.

You'd be hard-pressed to not have seen a trailer for the movie yet, and therefore probably know the plot, but just in case: 16-year-old Hazel has cancer. It's in her lungs, and she has an oxygen tank that goes everywhere with her. There's no cure for her particular brand of cancer, but she's had a miracle or two and an experimental drug is helping keep her alive longer. When she meets charming and clever and extremely attractive Augustus Waters at a kids-with-cancer support group, the majority of her world is flipped upside down. They become friends and eventually more than friends as they weigh topics and life circumstances far too harsh for their teenage selves.

Yep, if you read this book you will most likely cry. Yes, a book about kids with cancer sounds super depressing and upsetting and like something to avoid. I'm telling you though: it's good. It's sweet and smart and so funny and surprising and, yes, at times it is quite painful. But above all, it's good. And I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment