Sunday, June 22, 2014

Born Confused: a brief (book club) review

taken from wikipedia.com
This was a book chosen for the book club I'm in, and since we don't meet for a couple weeks I'll be extra brief with my review.

Tanuja Desai Hidier's Born Confused tells the story of Dimple Lala's summer vacation following her junior year in high school. She enters the summer highly insecure, linked to only one good childhood friend, and very confused about who she really is. As a first generation American, she feels too American at home with her parents and too Indian at school with her peers. A busy, hectic summer takes place, launching both Dimple and her best friend Gwyn into unfamiliar and exciting new relationships, experiences, and identities. By the end of the summer a lot has changed for everyone in Dimple's life, but probably most of all for Dimple.

I liked this book; it's not my new favorite and I don't know that I'll read it again, but I definitely liked it. I thought it raised some really interesting sources of discussion, and even though some of the basic plot I had some real issues with - which I'll save for book club and/or if you want to discuss them with me since most of them would be spoilers - I really did enjoy the book. I recommend it...although I will have to warn you that it's a hefty 500 pages long. Eek.

No comments:

Post a Comment