Monday, September 23, 2013

A Little Bit Wicked: a brief review


It's been a while since I've written a book review post, and it's because of all the DIY posting I've been doing. I had an epiphany a couple weeks ago that showed me how single-minded I am with everything in my life: I get excited about reading all the books I own so all I do is read. But then I get excited about making pretty things for my house and all I do is make pretty things for my house. I get excited about a new TV show and it's literally all I consider as an option when we're picking something out to watch. I truly want to be someone who can read and craft and watch TV shows and spend time with friends, but all in one day instead of separated by the month. It will be a serious challenge for me, but I think it's a valuable challenge to tackle.

That being said, I started this book and got about a third of the way through before I got bit by the DIY bug, and so for the next month or whatever I would just stare at that hot pink hardback sitting on my nightstand and think "I should just finish you, but I'm not feeling it." The first third was good, I just didn't feel like continuing to read it. Funny how putting a book down will totally kill it for you. And I couldn't move on to another book until I finished this one; I got it as a Christmas present at least six years ago after begging Santa for it for months, and I haven't bothered to actually read it till now. I owe Kristin at least the decency of finishing her book, for crying out loud. So when I got a nasty cold over the weekend and spent a couple days on the couch, I chose one to catch up on some movies I'm borrowing from friends and one to finally finish this book. You're welcome, Kristin.

I have mixed feelings about Broadway/Hollywood star Kristin Chenoweth's autobiography A Little Bit Wicked, and so I therefore am not entirely sure what I'm even going to say about it even as I'm typing. That's probably not the best way to write a book review - even a brief book review on a little-read blog - so I'll keep it short. I love her on Pushing Daisies, love her in Wicked, and love her in just about every tiny role she's had in various movies. Her writing style is pretty much exactly the same as how she speaks out loud, so one would think that I would love her book as well. I'm honestly not sure if it was the long break in the middle of reading it, or the fact that I was beating a cold while reading it, or the fact that her story telling made me go insane from bouncing back and forth through time and subject matter (much like what I'm sure my own story telling is like for other people), but I just didn't love it. I mostly just pushed through. I really do love Wicked, but I have seen exactly one show on Broadway and exactly one show off-Broadway, and that's it. That's my total extent of understanding of anything theater. Or musicals. Or anything that is most of Kristin's body of work. If it hasn't been turned into a movie or been given to me by a college roommate through some heavenly ordained moment of goodness (talking about Wicked, here) then I haven't the faintest clue about it. For the most part, she assumed her readers would be well-read on all things Broadway and theater and musicals and that made it hard to follow. As a small sidenote, I also had a hard time with some parts in which she discusses her faith candidly - which I very much appreciated - but I just don't agree with some of her bigger stances and that made it awkward for me. Not a deal breaker and not anything worth slamming the book shut, just things that don't mesh with the Bible that I read. Beyond that: she made me laugh out loud more than once, and she's still the cutest little blonde in Hollywood. She better get the role of Galinda when they make Wicked a movie, and they cancelled Pushing Daisies way too soon. Those were my thoughts before I read the book, and they're still my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment