Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Timing is Everything

Two years ago today, I went to a Christmas party hosted by some of my friends. It was freezing cold outside and I was warm and lazy in my apartment and my introverted self really didn't want to go. I  did, though, and ended up spending most of the night in a large circle of people talking and hanging out. There was a guy there who was nice and funny and easy to talk to. We chatted about football (my Pack was actually kicking butt that year), and he teased me when I exchanged my four inch heels for  Uggs at the end of the night. He called me the next night and I got so nervous I let him go to voicemail. Like a chicken, I texted him the next night, and we set up a date for the end of the week. I wasn't really all that sure about it, but I decided to give it (him) a try. What could happen?

Seven months later, I married that man.

When the stars line up, and you catch a good break
And people think you're lucky, but you know it's grace
It can happen so fast, or a little bit late
Timing is everything

I didn't want to go the party that night.  Hubs wasn't even technically invited to the party; he asked his friend who he never hung out with on the weekends if he had any plans, and that friend invited him. He didn't have to call me, and I didn't have to say yes. I didn't have to have the courage to ask him some hard questions on date #1, and he didn't have to answer me with the level of honesty and transparency that he did. A lot of things could have gone differently two years ago, and we might still be complete strangers living across town from each other, going to the same church and sharing a lot of mutual friends. Maybe we would have gotten together a different time, and we still would have ended up spending our lives together. There's no way of knowing what would or wouldn't have happened if something had been different two years ago...but I'm in love with that did happen.

I could have been another minute late, 
And you never would have crossed my path that day
When it seems true love is hard to find, 
That's when love comes along, just in time

December 10, 2011
January 1, 2012

May 2012
July 21, 2012
July 2012 (honeymoon)
July 2013
October 2013

You can call it fate, or destiny
Sometimes it really feels like it's a mystery
It can happen so fast
Or a little bit late
Timing is everything

No comments:

Post a Comment