Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Recipe: Quinoa-n-Cheese

Remember when I wrote a post about how there's a transition in my life and therefore my blog, and how I was so excited to start blogging about things like home renovation/decorating, cooking, and marriage? I really was excited. But marriage, as it turns out, is time consuming. Especially in these early days. And then we got a puppy. A handful of a puppy. And I picked up a small part time job at church. And suddenly here we are, in December, and I haven't blogged again. Consider this my official apology. I've gotten the bug again, though, and I'm back!

I have a string of posts lined up, but for the sake of not writing them all tonight, I'll start with a recipe. I've made it twice now, and it's so good!



Quinoa-n-Cheese

baking time: 30-35 minutes
preheat oven to: 350 degrees

1.5 cups quinoa
veggies of your choice (optional)
good pinch of salt
a few grinds of seasoned salt
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 large eggs
1 cup skim milk
1.5 cups grated cheddar cheese
Panko bread crumbs for topping (optional)

Lightly saute any veggies you want to include. Cook quinoa completely. Coat 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray. Whisk together the eggs and milk in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the quinoa, salt, seasoned salt, garlic, and veggies if you're including them. After mixed, fold both the quinoa mix and the cheese into the egg/milk mixture. Stir very well until the cheese starts to melt. Transper to baking dish and if using Panko bread crumbs, sprinkle on top now. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350, or until bread crumbs are browned.



*Gluten free notes: Obviously, the bread crumbs could cause some problems, depending on the stores around you and whether you can find any. You can either make your own by smashing up pieces of your own gluten free bread, or you can check your stores for some. I have found a great corn based Panko-style bread crumbs brand at Food Lion.

*Other notes: I haven't added veggies either time I've made this dish. I can't really imagine why you would want to...but apparently it's an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment