Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Cake Boss and such.

Last week was Spring Break, and this week has been sketchy at best. Not one teacher wanted to be there Monday for the Teacher Work Day, and not one student wanted to be back yesterday. Yesterday was rough. Lots of attitude all around. I literally had a student say "It feels like the year is over." Yeah. There's only NINE weeks of school left, but they've all checked out. Every single one of them. I thought I could expect this after the SOL, not this soon. Today was more fun, though. I worked them fairly hard today - with Dr. Seuss, sure, but I made them work - and then let them run wild for about 20 minutes. Turns out that was a good call...but it also created some funny conversations.

While my 4th block had free time, they all ended up talking about the Hunger Games. They've all read through the series at different places, and they were all discussing the end of Mockingjay even though they haven't all gotten there yet. One boy who's in the middle of Catching Fire kept freaking out when someone would spill something important. He had just gotten over freaking out about something really minor...there was a pause of silence in the room as everyone who had finished the series weighed the pros and cons...and then one brave soul said: "Prim dies." I thought that kid was going to have a heart attack and die right there on my floor.

Student 1: Algebra will never be used in the real world.
Student 2: Dude, all I need to know in life I learn from Cake Boss. I'm totally serious.

Student: My ears are great! [pretending to adjust his ears] I'm listening to the NFL right now!
Me: How's that off-season working out for you?
Whole class: OOOOOOOOHH!

[after reading Yertle the Turtle earlier in class]
Me: Stop trying to climb onto my filing cabinet!
Student: I'M TRYING TO BE YERTLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment